Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas...

It's snowing--the whitest Christmas since 1945, I've heard, and maybe whiter. But my mind keeps going back to Bangalore, where my Indian friends (at least the Christian ones) are probably just finishing up Christmas eve dinner. Some of them are walking the streets with a baby on their hips waiting for someone to take pity. And I'm sitting in my giant house, looking forward to a delicious breakfast and an overflow of presents. I don't know what to do with myself.

I know that Jesus is here somewhere, buried under the tinsel and piles of wrapping paper. It's hard to hear him wailing under the blare of "Jingle Bells." Make no mistake--despite what the songs say ("the little lord Jesus, no crying he makes," "silent night, holy night") I'm sure that baby Jesus cried. Wouldn't you, if you were born in a stinky barn with a bed full of hay? And whatever you think about his divinity (the jury's still out on my part, to be honest), this is a baby--and later a man--who knew poverty.

I guess I think that baby Jesus is more alive in Ishwari, the poor baby I held in the streets of Bangalore just before I left, than in all of the "keep Christ in Christmas" bumper stickers and giant plastic light up nativity scenes in the world.

So Merry Christmas. Peace on earth, good will to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment