Monday, January 11, 2010

Love and then Death

What is it like to walk on in
knee-deep snow, in the teeth
of the wind, into the dark
and hungry wilderness?
It is not like being loved, I know,
although it is a
bit like loving.

Where is the arm breath of
the bear? Why sing not the birds?
The rabbit passed before me
and I am compelled to follow.

My boots fill with snow;
I take them off and
lay down. The sky is
soft. I have no fear.

Death is only the smallest thing.

--------------------------------------------------------

I love winter. well, I love all seasons. Winter is my chance to be slow and reflective, to be introverted, even to be sad--which I'm discovering is a very important part of being me. Winter is good for sitting alone inside and reading a book, or for walking alone outside and letting the world be what it is. True, the temperatures--especially when you live on top of a hill--can be a bit prohibitive, but (as my good friend Garrison Keillor would say) that builds character. It gives us something to talk about. I wouldn't want to live in Florida anyways, where you can always walk outside without your eyelashes freezing. I'd get bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment