Saturday, June 4, 2011

And Now We're Farmers!

I'm sorry that I haven't posted anything yet--the four days since we got here to Squash Blossom Farm have been FULL of work and learning, and there's been no time or energy to spare for futzing with computers. I just got my computer hooked up to the wireless here, so I should be more connected from here on out, but if you really want to get a hold of me, call and leave a message on my cell phone, and I'll (probably) get it by night time. I'm trying to be as present to life HERE as possible.

Anyways. An update is, I think, in order.

It is BEAUTIFUL here. I feel like we've walked into a dirty little piece of heaven.


Here's the view from my window.  Yup.  Pretty darn spectacular.  I catch a great sunrise every morning, too.


Our first day here we were cleaning the outdoor kitchen when I heard a new noise.  I walked into an unused (except for junk storage) room of the barn, and found a whole bunch of baby chicks!  9 of them had fallen into the holes in a cinder block and couldn't get out.  Their poor mama was terribly flustered... she'd hidden them away in that room and then couldn't get them out!  We're letting her keep them in there until she wants to join us in the outside world, so she can take care of them on her own terms.
Brendan and I spent some of our time yesterday gathering wild yummables to sell at the farmers market.  These were surprise goodies--nettles (yes, the stinging kind!) and wild parsnips, which can give you a terrible rash!  If handled and cooked right, they're both excellent, and we'd like them out of the meadow, so... here I am with some muddy parsnips, freshly dug up.


We spent the rest of the day BAKING.  One of our major projects is to learn the art of sourdough bread.  We started multiplying the starter on wednesday night, mixed the dough on Thursday night, and baked all day on Friday for Saturday's farmers market.  We made 48 loaves total, all in the outdoor clay oven, which had to be refired between every batch.  It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!  Here are some of our whole wheat loaves, fresh from the oven.  Below that is a picture of us at the farmers market.  We sold all of our bread, and (surprise!) all of the nettles and most of the parsnips!  It was a good day, and when we got back we all took a well-deserved nap. 



2 comments:

  1. That bread looks delicious, and now I'm even more excited to come visit and buy some of it!

    And that chick is beyond fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what do you charge for that artisan bread?

    ReplyDelete