Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Me and My Cow Friends

I'm working on befriending the cows.  I really want to learn to milk, so that I can give Sue some time off.  And so I can know how to milk a cow!  I've been spending a bit of time in the pasture each day with a pocket full of cow cookies and sweet grain, trying to convince them that I'm a pretty nice person, really.  LaFonda is such a sweet and loving cow that the very first time I came out she let me brush her all over.  She's the one I most want to love me, since she's the milk cow. 
Her calf, Lindyhop, is less convinced.  Here he is playing on the compost pile--he's kind of a goof!  He's getting bolder--now he'll come and lick my fingers, if I'm patient, and today he even let me pet him for a second.

Lariat is kind of a grouch.  She knew that I had food today and came right up, and would tolerate petting if I kept up a steady stream of food, but I could tell she didn't like it.  When I tried to spend time with the calves, she actually headbutted Lindy out of the way to get to my pocket-full of grain!  At least she let me touch her--she used to take one sniff and turn around as if to say "nope.  we're NOT friends."  I don't have a good picture of Lariat's calf Jitterbug, who's beautiful and black and very shy.  I can't haven't ever gotten close enough to touch her, although she's starting to get used to my presence.  I'm hoping to start halter training the calves soon, but I'll need to get the piggy mamas out of the way first! 


 Lindyhop, the steer calf, is starting to be convinced.  He'll lick my fingers a little and today he let me pet him for a second. 

3 comments:

  1. I have a fantastic book from the library right now called "Forgotten skills of cooking" and every page makes me want to be on a farm. So I'm kind of a little bit jealous.

    I'm going to try making paneer soon, but I'll have to settle for store-bought, pasteurized milk so I don't know how good it'll be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany! First of all, I really enjoy reading your blog and just got all caught up on your posts! (Monday and Tuesdays are my days off) It sounds like you are doing meaningful work! I enjoy hearing about it and all your side adventures. AND you are learning so many new skills!

    ReplyDelete