Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Life and Death

It's been a while since I've written, so I thought I'd make up for it with some really intense subject matter--Life and Death.  I used to have the impression that farmers were people who made life happen--farmers help plants and animals to grow and thrive, so that the people who eat them can grow and thrive.  And this is true.  I understand myself as a food midwife, ushering zucchini and eggs and cheese and jam into the world.  But farming is undeniably also about death.  There's a lot of casual death around here.  Out in the garden, where we are helping the tomatoes and carrots and beans to grow, we pull out any plant that we don't want there, starve it of water and nutrients, and throw it on the compost heap to rot.  The beautiful red beetles that were munching on the potatoes last week were smashed under my boot by the handful.  Of course, too, we know that the turkeys that I've fallen so in love with will be dinner come November, and that we are raising two beautiful calves that will likely be dinner too, and that soon we have to slaughter a couple of roosters because we have too many of them.  I know that life and death is everywhere in the world, but the interplay between them is so close to the surface here on the farm.  Yesterday it bubbled up right in my hands.  We had a little chick, two or three weeks old, who couldn't walk.  Something had gone wrong with his or her legs, and the poor little thing would flop over every time it tried to stand.  We tried nursing it, separating it from the others and giving it its own food and water, making little splints out of pipecleaners... but none of it worked.  The Chick sat in one place for a day and a half, unable to hobble even to the dish of food we'd put out for it.  And so we had to kill it.  I know that I kill mosquitos all the time, and weeds, and that I've eaten meat for most of my life and so am implicit in the killing of animals, but this was the first creature that I've had to take in my hands with the implicit purpose of ending its little life.  I could feel it breathing, and hear it chirping, and he relaxed in my hands when I turned him on his back and through my tears I had to twist its neck.  I don't think I was decisive enough--it kept breathing, chirping, flopping.  Brendan gave it a few more twists and we left it on the compost pile and went to eat breakfast.  And our lives go on.  One becomes very aware, on a farm, how much our living is tied up in dying--not just our own eventual deaths, which color everything, but the little lives extinguished for our survival--or even just our comfort--every day.  It's enough to make one stop and think, isn't it? 

2 comments:

  1. Epic. Reminds me of a TED talk I saw by Chris Abani -- you should check him out. He talks a lot about death also. Very thought-provoking.

    Thanks for sharing! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say the same thing as R. But yeah... it's funny stuff.

    You know, when people talk about abortion, personhood and value take a forefront: When is it a person, a human, alive, with value, the same value that the 1-day old has, whom we know not to kill.

    It's tricky with animals. In my head, because it's the only thing that can make sense to me, I believe that animals do not have personhood, intrinsic value, or otherwise. I wrote a paper about this that I will post on our homework folder just for reading purposes.

    I say it's the only thing that makes sense to me because it's the only thing that in my tiny brain can allow for a coherent ethical system: people matter... love and care for people... God matters, love and honor God, partly by loving people. Animals matter in as much as they matter to people and thus to God. Same with nature. Otherwise, like you said, non-vegetarians are all murderers, not to mention mosquito slappers.

    There's a little kicker though, related to virtue ethics: even if an animal has no personhood or intrinsic value, we can damage our souls and increase our evilness by "mistreating them". Imagine the person beating a sheep brutally for no reason. Let's say the sheep has no intrinsic value. That person is still WRECKING themselves, fostering hate and evil.

    So yes, I can identify, despite my heady semi-conclusion, with empathy for animals. I like being nice to them, and when I went hunting with my dad in ~6th grade, I too cried (days later!) after wringing a duck's neck.

    ReplyDelete